The Blue Mouse theater on Broadway anchored the south end of the theater district during the 1920’s, a boom time when prohibition, Camp Lewis and a reputation for entertainment created a magnet for downtown Tacoma. Here’s a daytime view looking north from Broadway and 13th in April 1926 into the heart of the theater district. At the time Tacoma had 25 movie theaters and even more live and vaudeville venues. John Hamrick, a colorful impresario who supposedly took the name from a Shubert operetta he attended in London, used it on his theaters in Seattle, Portland, Astoria and several smaller cities. Since he named the 650 seat downtown Tacoma theater the Blue Mouse(formerly the Apollo) his smaller house in the Proctor district was dubbed the Blue Mouse Junior. All of Hamrick’s Blue Mice are gone now, lost to urban renewal, the television and multiplexes- all ,that is ,except for the Blue Mouse Jr. in Tacoma’s Proctor district. The last of the mighty mice.
Blue Mouse, Portland 1955
Blue Mouse, Proctor District, Tacoma,,,Last of the Blue Mice