This story is in the pictures and the mind of a steeplejack named Jack O’Brian who on a August day in 1942 was painting the flagpole on a building that was once the tallest on the west coast of North America.
The National Realty Building was topped out in 1910 between 11th and 12th on Pacific Avenue in Tacoma. At the time nobody in the far west was pushing steel frame skyscrapers anywhere near the lofty heights of Chicago where 15 and 20 story building were becoming commonplace. The National Realty Building, later called the Puget Sound Bank Building, was 16 full stories and on the Pacific Avenue facade a steep hipped roof was added above an elaborate Beaux Arts cornice. The high architectural style was on full display at the time with both the new Federal Courthouse just to the east and the nearly finished Union Station down Pacific designed in the same formal style. The builders were fully aware of the height distinction they were going for, roofing the tower in metallic gold and adding a 50 foot flagpole. Almost before it was full of tenants, L.C. Smith, the typewriter and firearms magnet, began work on a 38 story building in Seattle. Smith Tower was finished in 1914 and stayed the tallest building on the west coast until the Space Needle was opened for the 1962 World’s Fair.
The National Realty Building still stands at 1119 Pacific Avenue in Tacoma.
On August 13, 1942, 48 year old Jack O’Brian rigged his bosun’s chair for a climb to the 400 foot top of the flagpole. With his lidded paint pail and tethered brushes he worked his way down leaving a heavy coat of dark paint. There was no trick to the work. He had been doing it for 30 years and except for a wave to the photographer from Richards Studios, he wrapped up the job in a few hours. Routine. The photographers work-with it dizzying perspectives and compositions-seemed to take more effort.
Photos from the Tacoma Public Library Richards Collection